Become a fan of South Camden Theatre Company!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Michael McAteer

I received a call this afternoon from my long time friend Ron Chiumento that Michael McAteer had been found dead in LA this morning, having died in his sleep. Michael had produced Howard Zinn's great play "Marx In Soho" directed by my friend John Doyle and featuring my friend Bob Weick this past February in Santa Monica where I was privileged to be invited. A couple weeks before the show, we were stunned by the sad death of Howard Zinn, a death I learned about from Michael via a phone call. It is a sad irony that I found out at noon today of Michael's passing in the same way. Michael had a true passion for right and wrong, Howard Zinn and Camden. He and I were both "Camden kids" and our friendship was quickly a deep one. I cannot attempt to describe the grief his wife Barbara and children feel at this time. I am deeply saddened, as we all are who knew him. We just spoke Friday and had drinks together on Good Friday. There is a seat in the new theatre named after him, a gift of his great friend John Finn. I had planned on sitting next to him in it.

He will always be remembered as a compassionate friend and a true native son of Camden. He will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said. I share your grief and my thoughts and prayers go to his family. He create the place where you and I really connected and that was a true gift.

finnaginagain said...

He was my uncle and we just learned of his death today also we are very hurt by this untimely death he will be missed

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of working with Mike for three seasons on Cold Case. I admired his passion for things, and I absolutely loved to hear him play the harmonica..... The passion really shined then!! You will be missed Michael. Your friend, Dale

Michael McAteer said...

Thank you Joe.
Barbara mcateer