Become a fan of South Camden Theatre Company!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Visiting with Mr. O'Neill

I paid my yearly visit to Eugene O'Neill at the spot of his former theatre on the other side of P'Town. Every year I take my yellow eared copy of "Long Days Journey Into Night" and read my favorite passage which ends with "seeing the secret...are the secret". For a second there is meaning". [I am pictured reading on the rock at the site] You can feel his presence as you walk and read his words. The pain of the play is still there today..so long after it was written. P'Town is truly a pilgrimage for me. A visit to the writers of the past who so changed our world. I get to spend time with both Tennessee Williams and O'Neill at either end of Commercial Street where they wrote. It is a gift to be here...a gift to write...and a gift to feel their inspiration....a gift to share with you. Thank you, "Edmund Tyrone" for sharing your passion. The water laps below as I write this....... and soon........ a weekend of Tennessee....

No comments: