Become a fan of South Camden Theatre Company!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Of Key West, Tennessee Williams and Angels

One place I always wanted to visit is Key West, where Tennessee Williams spent a lot of time and wrote some of his finest plays. So..on the plane to Key West, Gus reaches into the seat in front of him and pulls out one page from the NY Times. On this single page is a review of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE now being presented in Chicago. Why that seat? Why that page? That was the first sign he was leading me. So, after, I look out the window, and think of the ending of GLASS MENAGERIE with his line [to paraphrase] "bright colored small perfume bottles like pieces of a broken rainbow". Just then, a large cloud ahead of us passes and UNDER us, as we are at 30,000 feet, I see my first rainbow from above. Another sign that the man himself is guiding me to his home that I have so long wanted to visit. Tennessee Willimas is here among us in his work, and, luckily for me at 30,000 feet and in Key West. Angels continue to gather.......

No comments: